We begin at the -modem- which connects any network to the Internet. Simply put, a modem stands for “Modulator De-modulator” which means it just connects your network to the Internet. You really need to purchase the fastest modem you can afford because whatever speed you purchase from your ISP [Internet Service Provider] you will have the ability to upgrade the speed in months or years to come. There are different types of modems. What is available today are Fiber Optic Modems and Cable Modems. AVN does not recommend you purchasing one that has the router build in for reasons I will not get in to in this article. Netgear and Motorola makes great ones, but other companies make good ones too.
Router – “AP” OR Access Point:
Next you will need a good router or Access Point. Good meaning you will need to spend as much as you can afford. For home use we really like the Nighthawk Tri-Band WiFi 6e Router. With this router you can “Future Proof” your entire network including your WiFi. Its super fast and in most cases with homes under 2500 sqft. this is an excellent router! Keep in mind we are exceeding gigabit standard Ethernet Speeds speeds. Wifi 6e connects normally at 2 Gigabits Per Second or 2Gbs. As mentioned in a 2500 square foot home you can just as easily install a Netgear WAX630e which will give you the absolute best results. Make sure you get the proper Injector or POE++ Switch.
Gigabit Or Faster Switch:
If you have more than 2 directly connected devices via Ethernet you will need a Gigabit Switch which you will be able to push more Ethernet connected devices with Gigabit speeds. Gigabit speeds today now can go much faster than just Gigabit. 2.5 Gigabit or 2.5 times standard gigabit is now available and in most cases needed when connecting to an access point like the Netgear WAX630e which normally connects at faster than 2 gigabit speeds. In a home or business network taking into account what equipment is being used is paramount. Put it all on paper first or call AVN Advisors to map it out for you and/or install it for you without the headaches and learning curve.
Gigabit equipment services refer to services related to networking equipment that can support gigabit speeds, which means data transfer rates of up to 1 gigabit per second (Gbps). Gigabit networking equipment is essential for high-speed data transfer, such as streaming high-quality video, online gaming, and other data-intensive applications.
Some common gigabit equipment services include:
- Gigabit routers & AP’s (Access Points): These are routers that support gigabit Ethernet ports, which allow for high-speed data transfer between devices connected to the network.
- Gigabit switches: These are network switches that support gigabit Ethernet ports, which allow for high-speed data transfer between devices on the same network.
- Gigabit network adapters: These are adapters that can be installed in devices such as desktop computers, laptops, and servers to support gigabit Ethernet connectivity.
- Network cabling: Gigabit networks require high-quality cabling that can support high-speed data transfer rates. Ethernet cables such as Cat5e, Cat6, and Cat6a are commonly used for gigabit networks.
- Network configuration and troubleshooting: Setting up and maintaining a gigabit network can be challenging, and gigabit equipment services can help with network configuration, troubleshooting, and optimization.
It is essential to choose reliable and high-quality gigabit equipment and services to ensure optimal network performance and reliability.
Assuming you purchase the 3 important devices you will have an incredibly fast home network! If you need help in configuring this equipment, click here or call us.